Thursday, September 4, 2008

BHO Talking Points - Take 1

My dear readers*,

After a fantastic vacation taking me across Northern New England, I return to slaving in the cube. This, however, does not mean I was absent minded. No, my friends, my mind was as active and as sharp as ever. Unfortunately, I spent my time relaxing instead of putting my thoughts to paper. A true shame, as this was the time I could have devoted to solidfying this passion and these ideas bouncing to and fro among my grey matter. Forgive me, but recharging the very drained batteries was extremely necesary.

So here I am, refreshed (although in all honesty, I could have used another week) and ready to go. What a two weeks it has been - we had BHO, pretending to be President (again) and offering more of the same carefully disguised in lofty rhetoric, buzz words, and pandering to moderates and conservatives. Eh, not buying it folks. Not buying it. What else? Oh yes, the "surprise" pick of Palin. I was (and still am) jacked up on this pick, and was awake in the early hours of the morning to follow the email traffic of my insider connections and watching the news. Truthfully, I have been psyched about this woman for many months now. I knew the name and vaguely knew of the record of her last two years in office. However, I was officially turned on to her when one of my insider connections (and good friends) started sending me more and more information on her, policies, record, etc. I have been sweet on her and hoping she would be considered for the VP for at least a good three months or more. I know, doesn't seem like that much time, but it is still more time than most people have given in though to BHO over the last year and a half.

So where am I going with this? Right. To those good 'ol talking points of BHO fans, particularly used by the young adult vote on the left. Here are two interesting (shall we say) ones I overheard. (Paraphrasing, as I can't remember the exact wording.)

1) "He gets it"
2) "He will surround himself with experts [to understand the situation(s)]"

Wow.. I was simply stunned to hear these as key points / reasons / rationale to vote for BHO. I mean floored. I expect better rationale from people than these. I won't devote the time to "he gets it" right now. However, it is time to disect point #2.

"He will surround himself with experts [to understand the situations(s)]"

No way? Really? Are you kidding me here? That is what a responsible politician / leader of any party should do. That is exactly what a damn cabinet is, what advisers are for. This is not a novel concept. How on earth can any person with any political savvy and/or understanding really think this is a novel concept. Picking (so-called) "experts" to be in your "brain-trust" or inner-circle is part of the everyday process of American politics. It is part of the responsibility of assuming such a role. This is to be expected, not applauded. Many Presidents and politicians in positions of influence and power have had fantastic, award-winning, intelligent cabinets / advisers. Some have been filled with those pushing singular ideas. Some have been empty and lacking any wisdom whatsoever. Furthermore, while experts are good and their opinions are always a must to have, (potentially) detached personalities should not be the only thing on which one bases their policies decisions. Last, and certainly not least - what happens when groups of "experts" get together? Not always good things. Long Term Capital Management.... ring any bells? A group of Nobel Prize-winning economists get together to form a hedge fund. What happens? Oopsies. It blows up. At the end of the day, experts and expert opinions are just one slice of a large pie. Black Swans are what make history (good book, and another post for another day). Experts cannot, and will not ever be able to predict these events. As I was saying, expert opinions are just one slice of a large pie of information. And, at the end of the day, it is not the information, but what one does with the information. History judges the politician / decision-maker / executor of policy much, much more harshly than it does the advice giver(s)....... remember that.

I will work on how to even approach "he gets it" over the next couple of days.

In the meantime, back to the cube and back to figuring out a few of my own dilemmas.

Enjoy my friends.







* Readers is a stretch, as I have what, 2 confirmed / loyal readers?

No comments: